So this may be REALLY late, but I still find it amusing the reactions we received when we told our friends, family, and even strangers that we were having TRIPLETS! Mostly people seemed confused at first and then shocked and then excited.
I'll start off by telling about our reaction to the news. I had an ultrasound done at 6 weeks to confirm we were in fact pregnant. The ultrasound tech was excited to tell us we were expecting Twins. Immediately, I was thrilled but overwhelmed since I have always wanted twins. Brian was mostly overwhelmed and already worrying about raising two babies at once. The news sank in and we were both very excited.
Next, we told our parents. It was the night before Thanksgiving that we went over to Brian's parents house. And just in mid-conversation... Brian threw out, "Oh and we are pregnant." His Mom and Dad were so excited. We then proceeded to show them our ultrasound pictures..."There is a baby in his/her sack, and there is ANOTHER baby in his/her sack." They were so excited that we were expecting twins. But then we had to have Brian's Mom swear to secrecy as she left the next day for a two week vacation with her sister. Sorry about that Susan!
We wanted to tell my parents the same night, so we drove to their house. There were no cars in the driveway and the lights were off. Dang, they weren't home. So I called my Mom and did some detective work and realized that they were at a wine bar nearby. We drove to the bar, found their car, and waited in the parking lot. My morning sickness and fatigue became too much so our "steak out" lasted for about 10 minutes. We would try again in the morning. The next day was Thanksgiving and we decided to just show up again at their house before we were supposed to meet at my Aunt and Uncle's house. So when we arrived and knocked on the door, my Dad answered and Brian and I both yelled, "We're pregnant!" My Dad started jumping up and down and then you could hear my Mom from around the corner, "Wait, what? Julie, come here!" She was still in her Pj's so I went to greet her and told her the good news as well. They were both so happy for us. We did the same thing with the ultrasound pictures as we did with Brian's parents. They couldn't believe we were having twins and there were a few tears shed. Once again, they were sworn to secrecy until Brian and I were ready to tell the rest of the family. I somehow made it through Thanksgiving without too much morning sickness but the weekend that followed was miserable. I don't think I left the couch.
At 8 weeks, we went in for a second ultrasound. This time the doctor did the ultrasound and she knew almost immediately that they were not twins. She looked at me and said, "Are you sitting down?"... Well obviously. "Do you see what I see?" And I responded, "Are there three?" "Yes, congratulations. You are having triplets!"
Jaw drops and I fall back on the table. Hands down, the most shocking news I've ever received. The next few minutes were a blur. At some point I remember Brian saying, "Oh S%!T" and the doctor doing measurements and saying that we needed to go buy lottery tickets since we were so lucky. She informed us that we now needed to go see a Maternal Fetal Medicine doctor that specializes in high risk pregnancy.
Wow, triplets. Three babies. We can do this. Brian and I spent the next week or so letting the news sink in. I would be sitting on the couch and just blurt out, "Three babies" because I was picturing there being three children running around us. The shock gradually turned in to excitement and although I still sometimes have to remind myself that I am carrying three babies, it is such a blessing. A lot of people have said to Brian and I that if there is one couple that could handle this, that it would be us. And I couldn't agree more. I can't wait to raise these three little girls.
Next, we decided to tell our parents... again... but this time that we were having TRIPLETS. We invited all of them over to our house on a Wednesday night. The Patterson's arrived for dinner so we told them first and then my parents arrived a couple hours later and we spilled the news. They were shocked as well, but both grandmothers were in full swing trying to plan on how to take care of me and then how we were going to get help caring for the triplets. Typical Moms. I love them.
We waited until I was 9 weeks along to tell my brother and his wife, Stephanie. You can see their reactions in the video posted below. And we waited until about 11 weeks to tell our close friends and other family. It was so much fun to tell people. My close girl friends thought we were lying (as you can see in the video as well) when we said I was pregnant and then they really didn't believe us when I said it was triplets as you can see by no one really even reacting to the news. I think the funniest reaction is from my cousin, Natalie, at our family Christmas at the River House. We always do a Chinese gift exchange and Stephanie rigged it so I would pick first. I knew which gift to open that revealed we were having triplets (You can watch this in the video as well).
Others we gave this film strip printed from our photo booth (Have I mentioned we have a photo booth company... Snap Happy Photos). Most people were confused at first when looking at the pictures and we would have to explain that we were indeed having 3 babies. Oh, and it is skinny me in the picture :)
So that is how our friends and family found out that Brian and I are being blessed with triplets. We are so excited for their arrival.
One more thing... shout out to my sissy-in-law Stephanie who dislocated her shoulder yesterday. Send her some well wishes to her blog Beautiful Mess.
One more thing... shout out to my sissy-in-law Stephanie who dislocated her shoulder yesterday. Send her some well wishes to her blog Beautiful Mess.


9 comments:
HAHAHAH! This video is fabulous Julie. Beau's reaction "you guys are going to be busy!" LOL! It looked like he was STUNNED! And how you told your friends was SO cute...such a good idea!! you guys are brilliant :)
New follower here! I don't know you guys, but the video brought tears to my eyes!! What a HUGE blessing it is to have a house filled with babies.
Neri
Totally had tears in my eyes watching. And Steph's reaction? I'm dying at her "shut the hell up!"
I really wish we hadn't be running late that day we came in town and we could have found out in PERSON!!! I had this feeling you were pregnant, but the whole x3 thing... yeah that caught me WAY by surprise!!!
I loved this video! You and Brian are so creative! I love the girls picture trick! Great Idea! And I loved everyone's reaction! You all are amazing and if anyone can raise 3 kids at once, it is you and Brian! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
oh yeah, and I loved your look into the camera as you knew you all were filming instead of taking pictures! TOOO CREATIVE and FUN!! Love it!
How the heck am I just now seeing this video montage?! Hysterical!! I love watching each and every one of them!! Tiggy is my favorite character of all, though! ;) xo
Oh-and thanks for the shoutout!
One-armed sister...OUT!
I loved this post so much I included it in my series, Lots of Link Love! I hope you'll come check it out, maybe visit some other outstanding blogs, and share with your readers! (Though I would understand if you've got other things on the mind...like keeping your three lil ladies safe!!) Thinking of you and your family!
http://stresscasey.blogspot.com/2013/04/lots-of-link-love.html
XOXO
Casey
Wow!! I found your blog through Casey's - your video made me tear up. Congratulations!!
Post a Comment